Re: Document without charset

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> [...]
> Apparently the validator uses UTF-8 as the implied default.
> The choice is impractical

My point was not whether it is practical or impractical.
My point is:

  First, the validator *itself* chooses UTF-8.
  Then the validator declares that UTF-8 is impossible.

This is neither logical nor helpful.

> to imply windows-1256 (Windows Arabic), because it has all
> code positions (00 to FF hex.) assigned, so there will be
> no spurious error messages about some "undefined characters".

I suggest MacRoman. ;-)

> Probably (a) would be better, though the message could be
> formulated in a more adequate and balanced way,

I took the words from
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/multilingual1.htm