Re: Entity declarations in DOCTYPE section

Olivier Thereaux wrote:

[snip]

 >   From a DTD standpoint, it's probably legal, but it's a behaviour
 > discouraged by HTML
 > [[ For reasons of interoperability, authors must not "extend" HTML through
 > the available SGML mechanisms (e.g., extending the DTD, adding a new set
 > of entity definitions, etc.).

Could I query the exact and intended meaning of the penultimate example ?
At a time when Netscape 4 was still a mainstream browser, I augmented
the standard HTML 4.01 DTD to accommodate the quirky four "margin"
attributes of <BODY> and used the following DOCTYPE in all documents :

     <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//PT//DTD HTML 4.01 Augmented//EN" "http://www.rhul.ac.uk/shared/dtds/HTML-4.01-Augmented.dtd">

Was I, in so doing, breaching the rule that you cite ?  I notice
that the prose uses the phrase "must not", even though it appears in
what might otherwise be interpreted as an advisory context.

Philip Taylor.