Re: validator issue

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, E. Judith Murray wrote:

> Since we add the section bellow to the .htaccess file of our articles
> folder, the validator is not working for the page:
> http://www.luventicus.org/articles/francais/03JeD005/index.html.
>
> We dont know how can this affect the robot (W3C_Validator/1.305.2.148
> libwww-perl/5.800). Can you help us to identify the conflicting line?
[...]
> SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^WE*" bad_bot

^WE* as a regular expression means any string that starts with W and is
followed by zero or more E characters.  That will match anything that
starts with W.

You should remove '*' from all of your regular expressions.  Even then,
treating any User-Agent starting with "We" as a bad robot seems overly
aggressive.

--
Liam Quinn