Re: Offering A hand - google heuristics

wow philip, thank you for taking the time to go to my site :)

and even more of a thank you for looking over my code
(there isn't a lot of web developers where i am in sydney australia that
would do that..in my view anyway )

I am aware that there is a short description under google links when urls
are returned from a search, but then again
I know that google does not rely upon abstract but the actual content of the
page for its description.
I am also aware that my personal short description does not come up for the
PWP listing,
and also I am google is a-head of the pack by a length and a bit when it
comes to search engines
but I do not only develop just for the google search engine, and that is why
i have "abstract".

Sounds like you are facing the same problem as i am.

I am far from "wise" with google logging, if knew the secrets to google I
would be a multimillionair.
I am a little unsure about what you are asking, but if you are asking me
what could be a better way to get a listing on google,
I am not sure but I can only recommend what I do.

* use clean code that matches standards
* submit your page to google (http://www.google.com/addurl.html)
*submit the page to lots of other search engines
* try reading these links
    http://www.google.com/remove.html
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/

* for main heading use <h1> tags
*be honest with your site content.
*try the google ads
also go to (just for reference)
http://www.google-watch.org

other then that I cannot help you because if you notice on my page all the
"professional web pages" words that i have(which i may point out for the
record
that i do not like having that many "professional web pages" said on my
site)? i only have that because im trialing it with google to see if it
lists me at number one..when i search for "professional web pages" currently
i only come number one with "professionalwebpages" as my search shows.

i have ragged on in this message, and probably gone out of the depth of what
you were asking and for what it is worth, this is my opinion.
yes google is a very very powerful search engine, to which i have no doubt
about this, and her "heuristics" is what every web developer has to put up
with.
change is apart of life, (that is the best thing about it in my opinion) and
I do not know everything so if i have got something wrong in this post,
try not to hold it against me, and just for the record google is not the
first and last answer to getting people to your website.

good luck

Regards
Gavin
PWP

PS i couldn't resist myself..i had to go to your domain night website (*just
a whisper* to validate it though..just trying to help not to point out your
errors)

> Gavin ; Congratulations on having a site which passes both the
> XHTML 1.0 (Strict) and CSS validators.  However, I wonder if
> you are aware that you have no "abstract" on Google ?  Since
> we are currently faced with the same problem, I wonder if there
> is any received wisdom regarding the use of XHTML and/or CSS
> (e.g., visibility: hidden for mouseover-revealed <div>s) and
> whether some combinations of these are thought to pose a problem
> for Google's cataloguing heuristics ?
>
> Philip TAYLOR
> --------
> PWP - Information wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > A while back, I came to the w3c for a hand with my website, as I was
>  > learning about standards, and naturally I
>  > lost :)
>  >
>  > But now I have a better understanding and wish to offer my help to
>  > people who might need it so I thought
>  > would join this mailing list, (if someone gives me a hint on how to)
and