W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-validator@w3.org > July 2004

Re: [VE][64] Error Message Feedback

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:53:26 +0100
To: Nox <noxlady@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Message-Id: <1090050805.7806.11.camel@localhost>

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 08:29, Nox wrote:

> The test page in question is located at 
> http://www.northcoast.com/~marilynn/test/test.html
> When I ran it though the validator, it said that there were problems 
> with the body and html tags. Looking at the code, I sure don't see any 
> errors. Do you know why the validator objects?

Your Doctype claims you are writing an HTML 4.0 Frameset document.

There are two problems with this:

1. 4.0 is buggy and was quickly replaced with 4.01

2. You seem to be missing a <frameset> element (good, frames are evil).

Try HTML 4.01 Strict instead.


> Also, if you have a moment, I have a couple of questions:
> 1: Character Encoding (argh!) Is this something I should be including 
> in the code of my pages, or is this something that my IP should be 
> doing and isn't?

Interesting question. One of you should be handling it, which one is a
matter of debate. One school of thought is that the provider shouldn't
impose a specific encoding on their customers.

Discuss the matter with your provider, possibly you have .htaccess
rights and can configure the server yourself.

>  What can I do to make the validator happy about my 
> pages???

The validator gives links to various instructions for setting character
encoding information when verbose mode is on and it doesn't receive the
right information.

> 2: CSS (@#$%!!!) The whole reason I tried to validate my page is that 
> I'm having trouble with my css. It works just fine in Safari (Mac OS 
> 10.3.4) but I though I'd look at my pages in a couple of different 
> browsers, just to check the layout, and the css isn't working at all in 
> Mozilla, Firefox, or Internet Explorer.

Your HTML claims that the style sheet is written in "text.css". The
Gecko rendering engine is aware that it only understands "text/css" and
thus ignores the <link>. Try using the correct value for the type

I also suggest you have a glance at:

David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Received on Saturday, 17 July 2004 03:55:04 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:58:43 UTC