Re: Improvement suggestion: group repeated errors

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Thorben Thuermer wrote:

> This has problably been suggested before, but EVERYTIME i use the validator
> i wonder why such a obvious thing isn't implemented yet:
>
> When errors occur repeatedly, instead of displaying every single occurance,
> sum them up in one grouped entry.

As in AccessValet's "Listed" or "DOM Browser" options (not a validator,
but a close relation:-)

There are alternative presentations that you may prefer.  Page Valet
doesn't do what you describe, but does offer "visual" views you may
prefer.  Bjoern can presumably confirm whether his IE-based validator
works like this.  Experimental versions of the W3 validator have
investigated the idea.

FWIW, I agree with your point, and believe we should aim to offer users
a choice of presentations.  The downside is that too much choice tends
to confuse.

--
Nick Kew