Re: Empty <script> bug (XHTML documents) ->IE6 bug

"Stéphane LOEUILLET" <stephane.loeuillet@tiscali.fr> wrote in message

> >>   <script src="js/whatever.js"/>
> >this is valid
>
> well, this is valid for XHTML 1.0, for mozilla 1.5 but
> Internet Explorer 6 would render an empty page with a JS error
> because it can't find a closing </script> even if <script ends with />

I believe this is a bug in Mozilla 1.5, if you're serving it as text/html.

> it took me a long time to figure that it was an IE bug

It is not an IE bug, IE does not support XHTML, it does not advertise that
it supports it, and does not attempt to render XHTML sent with the correct
mime-type.  Sending XHTML as text/html is only supported by RFC 2854 if you
follow Appendix C, and appendix tells you, you can't do the above.

> grrr, sending a bomb to redmond

The problem is XHTML's, Please direct your complaints to the XHTML Working
Group, particularly request that they actually respond to the related
issues.

Jim.