W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-validator@w3.org > February 2004

Re: Successful (and failed) install

From: Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl@cygnusinteractive.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:32:45 -0600
Message-ID: <4022540D.8070005@cygnusinteractive.com>
To: www-validator@w3.org

I'm back to report that I finally got the validator working on Mac OS X 
10.2.8 (with Perl 5.6.1)

libiconv was giving me problems, so I ended up doing some more reading here:


Which suggested that gettext might be needed, and then a re-install of 
libiconv. I did those things, and then reinstalled Text::Iconv and all 
was well with that.

Just one more problem... The check script was not reading the Header 
value in the validator.conf file. I had edited a lot of values in the 
file, and didn't know why this one was special. I believe it was because 
the line:

Header	/Library/WebServer/Documents/validator/header.html

had spaces between the name/value pair instead of a tab. I changed this 
and it all started working!

I suppose it would have done well to read this in the validator.conf file:

# Basic Key/Value pairs, separated by TABs.

I had made the last few edits to the file using pico and when I 
copied/pasted the line, it changed the tab into spaces, which I didn't 
realize until I opened in jEdit...

All in all, not an extremely difficult install, just a couple of 
'gotchas' along the way.


Pete Prodoehl wrote:
> I've tried two installs, one on Mac OS X 10.2.8 using Perl 5.6.1, and 
> using this OS X install guide:
>   http://mediaville.net/articles/validator/
> That one failed, but I think it might be due to libiconv weirdness. I'll 
> be trying again in the future.
> I then tried an install on Red Hat Linux 7.2 and that went very smooth. 
> I ended up following the above mentioned guide, just making path changes 
> where needed...
> So add one successful validator install to the list.
Received on Thursday, 5 February 2004 09:33:02 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:58:38 UTC