Re: suggest validator prefer URI to FPI

* Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:
>[FPIs vs. SIs]

The only reason I have heard in this thread to change the behavior of
the W3C MarkUp Validator in this regard is consistency with validating
XML processors that behave differently. I consider consistency with
previous versions of the Validator, similar tools and services, common
user expectations and reduced development and maintenance cost more
important and I am thus opposed to such changes.

>The Validator would notice that the System ID URI is not the one it
>associates by default to the FPI; depending on the feasibility of the
>different approaches, it could:

How would it notice that exactly?

>1. simply emit a warning saying that it doesn't know whether the System
>ID matches the FPI, and lists the "officials" System IDs bound to the
>FPI

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Feb/thread.html#52
Authors are deliberately and explicitly allowed to do that, it is
inappropriate for the Validator to suggest anything else and I am
afraid even if it is made an "info" users might be confused about it.

>2. download and cache the DTD, and "compare" it to the official DTD -
>I've no idea how feasible it is to compare DTDs though - emitting an
>error if they don't match, and validating using the downloaded DTD

That sounds like way too much trouble for a feature of essentially very
little value.

>3. download and cache the DTD, validate the document with the downloaded
>DTD and emit the warning as in 1.

See above.