Re: text/plain content type

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 02:36, Audrey Berns wrote:

> I've copied the following two statements from files that DO validate to
> those that do NOT, to no avail:
>
>  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>
> The files are saved w/ an .htm extension.
>
> Can you provide insight into this error? I did not see it listed w/ the
> other validation type error messages.

Copying the doctype or modifying the document(s) otherwise won't affect
the Content-Type, which is what the validator is complaining about.

The Content-Type HTTP header is sent by your web server, which obviously
hasn't been configured properly for *.htm documents.  Probably it does
the right thing for *.html, which is (I guess) why validator starts to
check them in the first place.  So, configuring your web server to send
*.htm as text/html should do the trick.

--
\/ille Skyttä
ville.skytta at iki.fi