Re: font problem and more

Le mar 06/05/2003 à 05:41, Nancy a écrit :
> Hi Kynn,
>
> Thank you for writing.  I should have mentioned it in my original letter,
> thank you for reminding me.  I'm using WinXP Pro and I had checked the
> browser font settings (and rechecked them after receiving Gannon's
> letter).  All is set correctly.  I have Times New Roman and Courier and the
> two default font (as I typed that I typed it "defaulty" =) and something
> surely is "faulty".  There doesn't appear to be a default for sans-serif,
> but I have MS sans-serif, verdana, arial, etc, etc. on my computer so why
> it's picking this weird, unreadable one I don't know.
>
> I'm thinking of going through and deleting all strange fonts!  The problem
> ONLY occurs when the creator specifies the generic sans-serif font.  If it
> is written,"verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif" or any one of them in
> front of sans-serif all looks fine.  I tried to find in Word which font it
> uses as the default sans-serif font, but after much looking I couldn't find
> that specification.  I guess no one is Word actually writes in the generic
> sans-serif.

This is known bug in IE, see for instance:
"ont-family: serif  inappropriate font selected as replacement for
generic when font size changed through UA preferences"
http://css.nu/pointers/bugs-ie.html#IE5
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2000Oct/0135.html

I think that it happens when you:
- change your default font size
- then install a new font
and I think it's fixable by changing the font size after the
installation... But I'm not really sure anymore.

Hope this helps,

Dom
W3C/ERCIM
mailto:dom@w3.org