Re: font problem and more

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 05:38 PM, Nancy wrote:
> I have been having a lot of fun as I learn more about CSS, XHTML and
> more and have almost become addicted to trying to make my pages
> validate, but I can't view most of the W3C when using IE.  It's
> impossible to read. I am including in this email a link so that you
> can view the validator page as I see it. [...]

> The problem seems to be when only a sans-serif generic font is used.
> I have tons of fonts on my computer and have no idea why it isn't
> choosing to use MS sans serif or Verdana, or Arial, but this is what I
> see  If you go to the website I have written here, you'll see how it's
> impossible for me and I hope you can help guide me.

Wow, your browser is pretty screwed up.

Check your preferences to see if you can tell it what fonts to use for
generic sans-serif.  You didn't mention what platform you're using, and
IE
is very different on Mac vs. Windows, but my version of Mac IE has
options
under Languages/Fonts to allow me to set my own defaults for the
generic font families.

Alternately, reinstall IE.

Alternately, reinstall Windows.

Alternately, install Opera or Mozilla or Safari.

Alternately, install Linux. :)

The point is, though, that your browser as currently functioning is
quite
broken because it's displaying a font you don't want it to display.  You
should be able to correct this problem through configuration.  If not,
then
there's something wrong with your browser.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain                http://idyllmtn.com