Re: w3c online test put junk in code

pinkalls wrote:

> Can someone help me.  I used the online test at
> http://validator.w3.org/ to validate a web page (using the address
> fill-in-blank).  It ended up putting the following code at the
> beginning of my html and no matter what I try to get rid of it, it
> still stays in there.  I've even deleted the whole file and then
> re-uploaded a new file that doesn't have the junk in it....but it
> still shows up.

> xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

Hi, Michelle!

Can you supply a few more details? Who's hosting your site? What kind of
server
software is running there? Are you running Windows on your PC? If so, what
flavor of Windows is it? Oh ... where is your web site? People might be
able to
help out more if they could go there themselves and poke around a little
bit.

What HTML authoring tools are you using? Have you looked at the file on your
own hard disk using a simple utility like Notepad? Or are you looking at
it through
some sort of HTML-specific editor like Front Page?

I'm really just guessing, but I don't think the W3C server did it to
you. I'd suspect
your own hosting software first.  dcb

PS I'm no expert, but I looked up xmlns and it stands for xml NameSpace.
That
appears to be a proposed method for setting up some abbreviations that
can be
used elsewhere in a document. I'd almost bet money that you're using some
sort of Microsoft software -- or your web hoster is -- that's inserting
this line
automatically.