Re: [ANN] W3C Markup Validator 0.6.5 Beta #1

Terje Bless wrote:

[snip]

> Well, the degree can certainly be debated, but I'll grant that in essence you
> are correct. However, it does not follow from the observed facts that «[The
> W3C Markup Validator] does not even try to be a validator any more.»
>
> In fact, this is patently untrue and demonstrably false.
>
> It not only attempts this, I claim it _achieves_ this.
>
> Anyone may challenge the details of the implementation — and there are areas
> in which we, in minor ways, diverge from the proper behaviour from a SGML POV
> — but to the best of my knowledge there are no areas where it substantially
> diverges from its goal.

Surely a false negative -- an /intentional/ false negative --
is sufficient for Jukka (and latterly, I) to legitimately claim that
it most certainly /does/ "substantially diverge from its goal".  If
the false negative were an accident, and there were reassurance that
the fussy behaviour would be changed to report "warnings" as opposed
to "errors", I would have no problems accepting the claim; but all
the while that it seems that in fussy mode, what should be mere
warning will be reported as errors, then I'm afraid I have to
agree with Jukka that it does indeed "substantially diverge from its goal"
and is therefore no longer "a validator" as opposed to an
[undoubtedly useful] HTML checking tool.

** Phil.