Re: Links to "Invalid Page"?

Greetings Mike.

On Saturday, Aug 2, 2003, at 13:11 Asia/Tokyo, manne-king.com wrote:
> My page validated at the W3C site and the logo has been pasted on my
> page.

Out of curiosity, by whom was the logo pasted on your page? Yourself?

> The address of the logo is:  http://validator.w3.org/check/referer

The logo is a link pointing to this resource, yes.

> That is a bad page.

We would be happy to have more details on why you think it is a "bad
page"? If it is because the logo points to a resource used to
revalidate the page?

> Shouldn't that be changed to lead to an "Explanation of
> the hard work to get validated and what it means" page?

The logo is available for Web authors to make a claim about the
validity of their Web pages and provide an easy way to revalidate it.
Whether it is better than a resource explaining the interest of
validation has repeatedly been the cause of heated and emotional
debate, which I would rather not start again.

You may, however, be happy to learn that a resource explaining the
_basics_ of validation
is being created, and that it will be linked from the "this page is
(not) valid" banner.

In the meantime, I don't think I need to remind you that, as the owner
of your Web page, you do not *have to* use the "valid" icon if what it
links to bothers you...

> Please respond to this e-mail...I wouldn't know where else to look for
> this
> answer.

Are you looking for the answer to "why is validation important?".
The W3C Markup Validator [1], as well fellow validators Site Valet [2]
and the WDG's HTML validator all offer some kind of answer:
[1] http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#why-validate
[2] http://valet.webthing.com/page/why.html
[3] http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/reasons.html

I hope this answers your query.