Re: please add HTTP_ACCEPT = application/xhtml+xml,text/html

--- Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, java java wrote:
>
> >   OK, but how do I
>
> Read your server docs for content negotiation.
>
> For example, with Apache you could use Options
> +multiviews

Quoted from
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html

"Apache's support for content negotiation has been
updated to meet the HTTP/1.1 specification. It can
choose the best representation of a resource based on
the browser-supplied preferences for media type,
languages, character set and encoding."

This will work but only if the validator specifies
that it can accept application/xhtml+xml !!

Since the validator CAN validate XHTML 1.1 and the
standards specify that XHTML 1.1 SHOULD be served as
application/xhtml+xml then why is it a problem to have
the validator say that it CAN accept
application/xhtml+xml

No page that was validated before adding that the
validator can accept application/xhtml+xml will become
invalid.  It will behave identically to how it did
before, it will just state EXPLICITLY that it CAN
accept application/xhtml+xml.

I ask, please show me a way to have my pages served as
application/xhtml+xml to the validator without knowing
that it can accept application/xhtml+xml.  Given that
my pages are served as text/html UNLESS a UA
explicitly states that it can accept
application/xhtml+xml.

Using Apache Options multiviews STILL requires that
the UA state that it can accept application/xhtml+xml.