Re: Utf-8 support for local file validation

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Richard Ishida wrote:

> When I try to validate a local file (on Windows XP) using
> http://validator.w3.org/ I get the error message:
>
> "File:  C:\Documents and Settings\Ishida\My
> Documents\xPeopleServer\scripts\samples\arabic.html
>
> Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on lines 78-82, 84,
> 110, 123, 126, 137 it contained one or more bytes that I cannot
> interpret as us-ascii (in other words, the bytes found are not valid
> values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check both the
> content of the file and the character encoding indication. "
>
> The file validates fine at
> http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/samples/arabic.html .

bash-2.05$ lynx -dump -head
http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/samples/arabic.html
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:11:47 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.1.2
Last-Modified: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:01:19 GMT
ETag: "1237d6-1f21-3e058d6f"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

That's not us-ascii.  Presumably the encoding is correct as utf-8
but broken as us-ascii.  You should submit your error report to
the developer of the browser that described the document incorrectly.

--
Nick Kew

In need of paying work - http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html