Re: checklink: Usually the sign of a malformed URL that cannot be parsed by the server

On Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003, at 18:12 Asia/Tokyo, Martin RODOT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> trying to check :  www.mrit.com/Essais/test.php
>
> I get an error : "Usually the sign of a malformed URL that cannot be
> parsed by the server."
>
> There is a "require" and relative path

The relative path is ../../ for the "/Essais" base path, which means
that there are more
relative path ".." segments than there are hierarchical levels in the
base URL's path.

For such a case the relevant RFC (1808) says that parsers should "be
careful" (well, thanks, that's useful...).
Most parsers will just ignore extra occurences of "..", but that's not
a standardized behaviour...

That said, should the link checker quietly do as all the current
parsers do, or warn you that the URI is fishy.
I kind of think that *for a link checker* the latter is not such a bad
choice.

What do others on the list think? Ville?

--
Olivier