Re: Validator that is "less pedantic" ?

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Allan Clark wrote:

> I'm CC: the list here to further explain myself, since > 0 readers
> missed part of it.  Not all validators are so listed.

You may be misunderstanding the term validator.  What you describe is
not a validator, but a checking program.  Many of those exist, ranging
from those based on smart and comprehensive markup parsing (such as
Tidy and AccessValet, to name two products Bjoern and I respectively
are involved with) through to ten-minute Perl hacks.

>	  I'm looking for
> "validators that show which browsers don't work with a given page", not

That's a contradiction in terms.  Only a browser can show whether it
will work with a given page.  And even that isn't strictly true, as
system and browser settings are involved: a page may work well with
an author's preferred settings but collapse completely when a user
with poor vision or a higher-DPI monitor increases the text size.

There are checkers that purport to do what you ask, but I couldn't
recommend any of them.  Any such tool that doesn't feature lots of
warnings is snake-oil.

--
Nick Kew