Re: Content Negotiation and Minor Nitpicking

>* Terje Bless wrote:
>>Christoph P²per <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
>>
>>>For the matter of content negotiation it would be nice if one could
>>>choose in <http://validator.w3.org:8001/detailed.html> the Accept
>>>(text/html vs. application/xhtml+xml), Accept-Language and perhaps
>>>Accept-Encoding HTTP headers sent by the validator.
>>
>>This is a very good idea. I've logged it (as tracker number #18), but
>>it probably won't make the cut for this version.
>
>Since the user is likely trying to validate the document he would get,
>the Validator could just tunnel the received Accept headers to the
>remote host (don't forget to make sure the Accept:-line contains all
>types supported by the validator and the Accept-Langage header contains
>a * to ensure the user won't get a 406 response). Otherwise it would get
>rather complicated to implement a form that allows for complex choices
>in this regard. Just consider a resources beeing served as a dozen
>different types (e.g., RSS, HTML, SVG 1.0, SVG 1.1, XHTML Basic 1.0,
>XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1, some custom XHTML types, etc.)

Hmmm. Good point. First cut implementation is probably to offer to tunnel
Accept-* headers (but not by default to avoid 406). Next step would be to
add popups for Accept-Language and Accept-Encoding (allowing you to select
just one of each if you want to check what the server returns).

I don't really see any good way to deal with the other problem you describe
above though. So if anyone has any suggestions I'd be very happy to hear
them!

>>>There really should be support for other media types as well.
>>
>>This is a hack to prevent Netscape 4.x from attempting to load and
>>parse the stylesheet.
>
>I am pretty sure NN 4 will still ignore a

>(IIRC, NN4 rejects all media != 'screen', including 'all')

Thanks. Fixed in CVS.

--
Of course we are the good guys! We define what is good and evil. All other
definitions are wrong, and possibly the product of a deranged imagination.