Re: new html pages for validator

John Russell <ve3ll@rac.ca> wrote:

>the main page at validator.w3.org does not look pretty when viewed with
>amaya (w3's own browser/editor).

I assume that by "not look pretty" you refer to the navigation menu
preceeding the main body content?

This is a Amaya bug; it is failing to honor the CSS1 "float" property. As
CSS1 was published in December of 1996 I can only assume that this is a
known limitation, but you may wish to file a bug with the Amaya team if you
wish to make sure. Additionally, it does not appear there is any way to
disable CSS in Amaya (which certainly counts as a bug given an incomplete
implementation)[0].

In either case, there is little we can do on our end.

>it also produces parse error message when viewed with amaya.

Ah. It appear we have not been quite carefull enough to remove debug code
before release. The stylesheets have malformed comments in them, causing
Amaya to complain. I've fixed that in the development version and the fix
will be in the next release.

Thanks for the feedback!

[0] - The Validator pages are crafted to degrade gracefully even when
      CSS is not available, but there is little we can do about partial
      or buggy implementations.
--
"Temper Temper! Mr. Dre? Mr. NWA? Mr. AK, comin´
 straight outta Compton and y'all better make way?"            -- eminem