Re: [administrativia] change of anti-spam system for this list

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Olivier Thereaux wrote:

> This list used to be partly moderated (which means I received - and
> approved as needed - messages from unknown addresses), and we are going
> to switch to our new "archive-approval system".
>
> With this new system, each poster needs to go through an extra step the
> first time they post to the list, to grant us permission to archive
> their message on our site. This applies to "regular posters", too.
>
> This system reduces significantly the amount of spam distributed to
> our lists as well, so the list will be configured to accept mail
> from anyone who goes through that extra step. (so no more moderation
> delays).
>
> More information here:
> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/aa/

"In the past we have had problems with people sending mail to one of
our archived mailing lists and then being surprised to learn that
their message ended up in a public archive."

Well, your archive software doesn't obey X-No-Archive: yes. Explicit
permission is irrelevant when you can mark every message...

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@ee.surrey.ac.uk>