Re: Validator fails to detect invalid document

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Nick Kew wrote:
> >Disagree.  IMO the approach of htmlhelp and valet (default to
> >a parse mode that complains of shorttags) is right.
>
> To *warn* about the use of some SHORTTAGS features is ok,
> but "prohibiting" them is not unless the HTML WG publishes
> normative reference material that clearly states using
> the feature renders the document invalid.

Indeed.  As I said, valet and htmlhelp make this an option, which
is the approach I recommend.

But this raises the problem of overburdening deezyners with
technical details they don't understand.  Hence the second
recommendation that the *default* behaviour should be the
one that gives the most *practically* useful results.
Again, that's what htmlhelp and valet do.

As regards distinguising warnings from errors, that's a lot more
complex than it should be.  They all come from nsgmls, which
doesn't make the distinction.

--
Nick Kew