From: www-validator-request@w3.org [mailto:www-validator-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Aziz Matar
Sent: November 10, 2002 7:44 PM
To: www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Why does it say ALL images need alt tags?

I can understand how alt tags help, but for some images that are used as
part of the sites navigation, for example, a small 10x10 square that is
used to draw a curve and placed on the corner of your tables for
decoration, why does the validator want alt tags on those? I hate that I
cant make the page validate as XHTML 1.0 because my navigation images do
not have alt tags and I do not want to give them any. :-( Any ideas to
work around this?

P.S. Yes I understand the validator cannot tell the difference between
regular images and images used as part of the layout.