Unsupported doctypes (Re: problem)

On Wed, 15 May 2002, ROSHAN wrote:
> error (330): out-of-sync UTF-8 character: byte offset 1962
> line 96: error (330): out-of-sync UTF-8 character: byte offset 2462
> line 166: error (330): out-of-sync UTF-8 character: byte offset 4523

Whatever was causing that appears to have got lost somewhere in the mail.
I'd guess you had some invalid characters, but that some mail agent
has error-corrected them.

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "+//ISBN 0-9673008-1-9//DTD OEB 1.0 Document//EN" "http://openebook.org/dtds/oeb-1.0/oebdoc1.dtd">

I had a look at that.  The W3 validator declines to validate it for me
(Error: could not get "/dtds/oeb-1.0/oebdoc1.dtd" from "openebook.org")

Page Valet thinks it's valid when I select parse as XML.  WDG validator
(on upload) parses it as HTML, throwing up lots of errors.  The XML
validation webservice at http://valet.webthing.com:8000/ reports three
errors, all of which are about invalid xml:space declarations in the DTD.

--
Nick Kew

Available for contract work - Programming, Unix, Networking, Markup, etc.