Re: W3C HTML Validator: Last Modified?

Harry Gibbens, Jr. <harryjr@deafworks.com> wrote:

>Last week I can't validate my pages.  Now, I can.   It seems that I must
>wait for few days for the validator to erase its own memory cache so
>that it can look into my pages as fresh contents. [...]
>
>I will leave you guys to baffle why the valdator didn't work to refresh
>the cache on my pages last week, but works great today.  I haven't
>changed or untouched anything on those page contents.

I can guarantee you, with 100% certainty, that the Validator does not,
under any circumstances, cache any data whatsoever. Either there is a cache
somewhere between validator.w3.org and your web site (that caches your page
and gives Validator a stale page to validate), or there is a cache between
your browser and validator.w3.org (that caches the Validator's reports and
gives your browser a stale one). Check with your ISP and/or your hosting
service; both are not unlikely to have a transparent proxying cache in
either position.

It is of course a possibility that W3T is playing silly buggars with me
again, but AFAIK there are no caches, transparent or otherwise, between
validator.w3.org and the Internet at large. www.w3.org is round robined and
plays various tricks for load balancing, but none of those should affect
validator.w3.org.

--
I have lobbied for the update and improvement of SGML. I've done it for years.
I consider it the jewel for which XML is a setting.  It does deserve a bit or