Re: Support UTF-16 in the validator?

Newton, Philip <Philip.Newton@datenrevision.de> wrote:

>[Note: I am not subscribed to the list; email copies are appreciated.]

CC sent.

>Hi, I have a page which is encoded in UTF-16 (specifically, UTF-16BE,
>though it starts with a BOM). When I tried to validate it at
>http://validator.w3.org/ , I was told that the encoding was not
>recognised and to submit the encoding if I thought that was appropriate.
>
>[...] So I'd like to ask for UTF-16 to be supported in the validator.

Supporting UTF-16(BE|LE] is a goal, but I can't speculate as to when it
will be implemented.

>Well, since that page uses the "private use area" with characters in the
>U+Exxx range, I picked UTF-16 since that uses two bytes per character as
>opposed to three bytes per character for UTF-8 in that range.

However, I cannot guarantee that we will support use of the private use
area. That depends on many things; among them what support there is for it
in the character encoding libraries we use and what current thinking is on
"best practices" on the subject when we implement UTF-16. I'll keep in mind
that we have at least one actual user of that feature though, in case it
comes down to a judgement call.

Thanks for the feedback on this!

--
"Frailty, thy name is woman!" - Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

                 See Project Gutenberg <URL:http://promo.net/pg/> for more.