Re: http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Treasurer - BCS Newcastle & District wrote:
> >Lynx 2.6 refuses to display the output from the validator.
>
> Any reason given?

	Hi,

	I just thought I'd enquire how you were getting-on with
	working out why the validation results can't be displayed
	on some browsers.

	Recall my previous email where I said that any page of
	validation results can't be display in (admittedly) a not
	particularly recent version of Lynx.  I said that I had
	never seen that `error' before using that version (2.6)
	of Lynx.  That `error' being of a returned page that is
	in fact html causing Lynx 2.6 to believe that the returned
	page is other than text or html so that instead of
	displaying the validation results, Lynx errors with the
	message "This file cannot be displayed on this terminal."

	The example I used in my previous email was of entering
	the validator's own URL in the address-to-validate field.

	Hoping that it might help move things on a bit, I spent
	an hour or so, doing a trace of it (using Lynx 2.6) and
	editing the trace file to make it readable (trace in
	Lynx 2.6 output linefeeds only without carriage returns,
	so the trace quickly ran to the right margin and off to
	infinity).  I've attached the file I've spent time
	cleaning-up.  I hope that it helps in figuring-out why
	the validator is effectively unusable from Lynx 2.6.

	Regards,
	MJ.