About internal version (Re: Please include both override features in the upload form)

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Martin Duerst wrote:

> Yes. They are already available in the internal version.
> Please try them out at
> http://validator.w3.org:8188/file-upload.html
> and tell us whether it works.

Thanks, it works. A few contributions:

* I see there is no "revalidate" button any more. That's ok, I can use
the "reload" feature of my browser. (perhaps add this as a hint ?)

* One suggestion:

when I validate pages made by other people, I often see this error:

> "there is no attribute `FOO' for this element (in this HTML version)"
>
>     You have used an attribute with an element that is defined not to
> have that attribute. This is most commonly caused by using
> vendor-specific attributes without setting the document type
> appropriately.

I thinks it would be good to make some finer-grained diagnostic to this
common error, and perhaps even a hint of what to do to correct the
situation.  Perhaps some usage statistics (logs produced by the
validator itself) would give common examples to start with. In my mind,
this is related to item 17 in http://validator.w3.org/todo.html:

'Add a "recommend a DTD for me" feature (check a document against all
available DTDs, report which one has the fewest errors)'

* Warning: pages under http://validator.w3.org:8188/ hierarchy don't
validate. They all lack all headers... I guess this is a known property
of the development area.

* The quality tips are a really good idea.

I've seen there is a cvs repository. I might contribute a patch once in
a while in the future.

> Regards,   Martin.

Thanks for this great tool.

--
Stéphane Gourichon - Labo. d'Informatique de Paris 6 - AnimatLab
http://animatlab.lip6.fr - philo du dimanche http://amphi-gouri.org/

"Bonjour, je suis qu'une phrase entre guillemets dans une signature,
mais si vous me recopiez dans votre signature automatique d'e-mail,
alors je pourrai continuer à me reproduire comme un virus. Merci !"