Re: charset=us or charset=ANSI_X3.4-1968

h1 <jch@hehe.com> wrote:

>I send my briefest html  (www.geocities.com/hshsing/index.htm) to your
>validator. However, your validator does not recognzie the charset name
>which is the first name in "IANA maintains the list of official names
>for character sets". [ANSI_X3.4-1968] or [us].

The preferred MIME name of this character encoding is "us-ascii" which we
do support. It is our intention to eventually recognize all the encoding
names from the IANA registry, but even then we would give a warning that
the preferred name was not used. Not the least reason for which is that
most browsers do not support the full set of aliases registered with IANA.

Thanks for your feedback on this.

--
I have lobbied for the update and improvement of SGML. I've done it for years.
I consider it the jewel for which XML is a setting.  It does deserve a bit or