Re: bug in validator?

Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:

>I was inclined to ignore it at first ( "someone entered a URL in the
>file upload box and got confused ..." ), but on rereading your post,
>that seems unlikely.

No, it seems clear that this is _not_ a user error. It's either an issue
wirh Konq, our web pages, or the Validator code (see below).

>Actually on reflection, this is probably down to the murky innards of
>the validator, specifically the redirection from a POST to a GET URL.
>Methinks it's time to thwack Terje about that one!

This isn't due to the GET->POST thing; it actually looks like this stems
from an ambiguity on the HTML 4.01 Recommendation and Konq 2.x implementing
this slightly differently from other browsers.

A file upload field that has no value may still be considered "successfull"
and so may be submitted. When an uploaded file is present the Validator
will prefer that over any submitted URI. And since the "file" Konq is
submitting is zero-length, we, for obvious reasons, can't extract an
encoding, hence the error message.

Since this doesn't appear to be a particularly widespread issue I'm not
certain to what extent we should compensate for it in the Validator. I'll
have a look at this the next time I'm digging through that part of the
code.

Thanks for bringing up this issue Alistair! This is pretty subtle and I
don't think we'd ever have stumbled on it by ourselves!

--
We've gotten to a point where a human-readable,  human-editable text format
forstructured data has become a complex nightmare where somebody can safely