Re: pls change main validator form back to GET

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 20:45, Terje Bless wrote:
[...]
> [ Still not stating opinion... ]:
> >Strictly speaking these are two interpretations of the HTTP methods,
>
> Not necessarily. Iff a "TAG Finding" carries force of fiat then, by the
> policy we've traditionally adopted -- implement to the specs regardless of
> what we think of them -- we _must_ use GET for everything except File
> Upload regardless of what is or isn't supported by the HTTP spec because
> the TAG's Finding overrules it.

Consider the tag finding irrelevant. Or just a handy pointer to
the relevant parts of the HTTP and HTML specs.

It's those specs that provide the motivation for my request;
once again:

[[[
The "get" method should be used when the form
... causes no side-effects.
]]]
  --
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.1

[[[
Implementors should be aware that the software represents the user in
their interactions over the Internet, and should be careful to allow the
user to be aware of any actions they might take which may have an
unexpected significance to themselves or others.

In particular, the convention has been established that the GET and HEAD
methods SHOULD NOT have the significance of taking an action other than
retrieval. These methods ought to be considered "safe". This allows user
agents to represent other methods, such as POST, PUT and DELETE, in a
special way, so that the user is made aware of the fact that a possibly
unsafe action is being requested.

Naturally, it is not possible to ensure that the server does not
generate side-effects as a result of performing a GET request; in fact,
some dynamic resources consider that a feature. The important
distinction here is that the user did not request the side-effects, so
therefore cannot be held accountable for them.
]]]
 -- http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.1.1