Re: bug in validator?

Alistair Turnbull <apt1002@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>Using Konqueror 2.11,

Please note that according to the Bug Database for Konqueror, versions 2.x
in particular have numerous bugs related to forms.

>if I type in the following URL:
>
>http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://validator.w3.org
>
>I get a 'valid xhtml 1.0 strict' reply (Konqueror escapes the :// for
>me). However, if I type in just: http://validator.w3.org/
>and fill in the 'address' box with: http://validator.w3.org/
>I get the following error:

I cannot reproduce this behaviour in any of the browsers I have access to
(this includes Konqueror 3.x).

|  I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
|  the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
|  it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:

This tells you that there was no character encoding information for the URL
you attempted to Validate. Are you sure this is the message you get? Or
that you typed in the URL "http://validator.w3.org/"?

Looking at the code I can see no way for anything in the form submission to
trigger that particular error message if the web site given does in fact
include encoding information (as validator.w3.org does).

>Note that the filename is blank. The problem appears to be that the
>blank 'local file' box is taking precedence over the filled-in 'address'
>box.

It does, yes, but only if there is actually something in this field.

>This caused me considerable confusion. I have used the validator
>many times and have never encountered this problem before. Has there
>been a recent change? Is this the browser's fault?

So far I am considering this a bug in Konqueror 2.x. Unfortunately, I do
not have access to that particular version so I can't investigate this
further. I suggest you take it up with the Konqueror developers
<http://www.konqueror.org/> to figure out what's going on.

--
> I suggest you attend some sort of anger management class....
That's where you learn to upset the PHBs? -- Peter da Silva