Re: pls change main validator form back to GET

On Monday, Dec 2, 2002, at 16:35 Asia/Tokyo, Terje Bless wrote:
> Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> Eek! I just noticed the validator homepage switched from GET to
>> POST!!!
>> <http://validator.w3.org/>
>> I suppose it's for file upload; but the earlier design was just fine
>> for
>> that: a separate POST form for file upload was provided.
>
> I disagree. That design was suboptimal from a Human Interface
> perspective[0].

Well well, let's all try to play nice, shall we?

Dan, thank you for the feedback. Feedback (on this list, on the IRC
channel, etc) *is* the primary material that is used to make the
validator evolved, and even a tongue-in-cheek answer to feedback should
not be taken as a dismissal.

I agree that this is a serious issue that we may have overlooked. The
little "magic" Terje spoke of works so well that it felt harmless (and
indeed it helped use only one form instead of two).

Anyway it's certainly not in the interest of the markup validator to
violate "architectural principes". The validator is a nifty tool (that,
I hope everyone here agrees, or please send feedback :) but also an
educational "proof of concept" that things can/should be done right,
and I don't think we want to do B if the TAG claims that  "the
validator does A and that's the thing to do"... ;)

As a result I tend to agree that (even if it goes against usability) we
should switch back to using POST for uploaded documents and GET for
online ones.

We've been informed of a small packaging issue with 0.6.1, that makes
two reasons to release a 0.6.2 within a few days... If everyone is
happy with this. Should anyone disagree (or, as a matter of fact,
agree), I do welcome opinions... but, as usual, it's better if it's
done in a friendly manner, not overlooking smilies, etc.

Thanks.
--
Olivier Thereaux - W3C - QA : http://www.w3.org/QA/
http://www.w3.org/People/olivier | http://yoda.zoy.org