RE: problem with validator

Lee A. Jones <lee@archid.co.uk> wrote:

>Can I just confirm that the following is INCORRECT: [...]
>
>The script that is added by the server daemons for banner ads, inserts
>it BETWEEN the closing </head> tag and the opening <body> tag. Shouldn't
>this appear BEFORE the </head> tag? Am I correct in believing that this
>is incorrect HTML?

Yes. This is incorrect. See
<URL:http://validator.w3.org:8001/check?uri=http://www.aeropork.com/;sp>.
If you study the Parse Tree you'll find that the <script> tag implies an
opening <body> tag before it, meaning you now have _two_ <body> tags in the
document. That page also has a trailing ACSII NUL (0x00) byte as the final
byte of the file.

I would reccomend that instead of inserting a script "in-line" as it were,
they insert a reference to an external JavaScript file, and put the link
inside the <head> section. Their software also really appears to have a bug
that leaves a trailing NUL floating around. This is very likely due to
whatever programming language used to implement the script insertion having
NUL terminated strings ("C" is one such language) or something along those
lines.

PS. The DirectNIC guy /has/ to appear very sure of himself. It goes with
that kind of job. Customers need to feel that the support person is in
complete control or they begin to get uncertain, and there is a class of
customers that get really obnoxious when the support people admit to not
knowing something. With a bit of patience you'll get through to him. :-)

--
"A plague o' both your houses! I am sped." - Mercutio, kinsman to the Prince.
                   See Project Gutenberg <URL:http://promo.net/pg/> for more.