Re: target attribute of anchor tags

Daniel Terry <rrowv@usa.net> wrote:

>When validating a page I was working on last night, I noticed
>something a little odd.  My page (
>http://www.cs.iupui.edu/~dsterry/n307/index.html ) validates fine on
>HTML 4.01 - Strict except the TARGET attribute of any anchor tags I
>used.  I realize it will validate under HTML 4.01 - Transitional with
>the TARGET attributes there, but it seems odd to me that such a basic
>thing does not conform to the standards.

You've gotten several replies to this, but I think the most constructive
answer would be: "Talk to those who make the standards."  The Validator
simply enforces those standards and hence it is nominally off-topic to
discuss it here. More to the point though, you would get a far more
authorative answer on the www-html@w3.org list.

I would also urge those who feel strongly about this issue to join the
public-evangelist@w3.org mailinglist; set up under the auspices of the W3C
Quality Assurance activity and meant to facilitate effective communication
on exactly these issues (a wider mandate then the WAI).

--
"Allright... Calm down! Relax! Start breathin´..."         -- Dr. D.R.E.