Re: New version of Quality Tips for Webmaster

Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:

>DO not confuse structure and layout.

I hate to do this to you Karl, but I'm afraid I'll have to throw that right
back at ya. :-)

>We can perfectly put at  the top for the layout and at the bottom in
>the structure. So the page will be fine in text browsers and in
>graphical browsers.

...what logic is there behind putting it at the end of the _structure_ of
the results page? It belongs at the top so it gets put at the top. Not
because that's what "looks good" in the browser, but because that is where
it logically belongs in the structure. It's at the top also in the layout
because that's where it makes sense; even for the ones using Lynx or
whatever. The "Skip" link is there to cater to the fact that Lynx and
speech browsers make it inconvenient to ignore navigation you don't need,
unlike the graphical browsers, but moving it to the end would make it
inaccessible to the very people this exercise was meant to benefit!

>It could be anywhere else. :) It's very easy to put it where it will be
>convenient, but at least in the structure of the text it will have to be
>at the right place.

Exactly. :-)

>When the new validator will be finished... I will help to tweak the CSS
>which has minor problems right now ;)

Great! We need all the help we can get; _especially_ with the CSS (which
has _major_ problems, not minor ones ;D).

--
My mom is a professional botanist, or, as her spousal equivalent described
it, they'll be out hiking in the woods, she'll see a plant off by the side