Re: Validator support for MathML embedded in XHTML

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:

> > >BTW, it seems the validator has (known) problems with parsing
> > >the entities in "mmlextra.ent".  "mmlextra.ent" includes a bunch
> > >of character entities beyond U+FFFF, which nsgmls doesn't support
> > >yet.
> >
> > Is this bug the cause of the new error messages I'm getting (with line
> > numbers that vastly exceed the number of lines in my source file)?
>
> I think so, see:
>
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-math/2002Jan/0003

It is possible to work around that with OpenSP.  See for instance
http://valet.webthing.com/page/val.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oxnardcc.org%2F%7Embowen%2Fanswers%2Fsf5ch01test2.htm&input=on

Unfortunately the current Page Valet seems to have reintroduced
the same problem as the W3 validator :-(

> > If it is, and if this is the only error message I get, should I consider my
> > document as effectively validated? The URI of the current document version
> > is  http://www.oxnardcc.org/~mbowen/answers/sf5ch01test2.htm, in case you
> > would like to see for yourself.
>
> Actually there are other errors in your document, for example,
> the align attribute is not allowed on the div element in XHTML 1.1
> plus MathML 2.0 DTD.  You could try more conformant XML processors
> like Xerces-J or Xerces-C++.

Current work-in-progress is aiming that way.  I have run a prototype
with Xerces-C++, but it's some way off robust enough to go public.

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>