Re: Shaming compaines into improving their HTML

* Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>Why does anyone think that embarrassment is going to produce any
>changes?

It's a matter of fact. The Macintosh web browser iCab
(http://www.iCab.de/) has a little smiley that is green
and happy if the page contains no errors and indicates
by looking sad or whatever if the page has some or many
errors. I've come across a lot of Macintosh web developers
who suddenly care for valid HTML; they want that smiley.

>If there's no reason to use valid HTML beyond avoiding the "nyah
>nyah" factor from a small handful of HTML purists (that's us),
>then of -course- there will be no change.

I don't think this opinion is compatible with your position
against XHTML Browsers that refuse to display a document
with fatal errors, but you may educate me.

I think it's a very simple reason: If you don't code properly,
your pages won't show up.

This may be a proplem for the broad adoption of XHTML, but
that's not the point here.