Re: Better internationalization of validator

[ CC to Martin as I'm not sure he's on w-v. Martin? ]

On 21.05.01 at 14:57, Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org> wrote:

>I have just committed a very small patch to the 'check' validating
>script, just to change some terms ('character encoding' rather than
>'character set'; see http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/charset-harmful
>for why we don't want to use the later).

That Draft expired in 1995...

>Over the weekend, I have had an extensive look at the validating
>script, and I have various ideas for improvement in the area of
>internationalization that I will work on in the next few days/
>weeks. I'm looking forward to your comments/suggestions.

Uhm, actually, I'd kinda like to see /your/ comments and suggestions. :-)

My thinking up to now on how to deal with these issues has been to split
out UI elements into Templates and select a template set based on
Accept-Language or similar means. I even have a working prototype of this
-- that implements only en_us, but has hooks for more -- which, while badly
out of sync with W3C code, can reasonably easily be merged back in.

Further, I'd planned to investigate switching to OpenSP over jclark SP
because it gives message numbers in addition to just a free text error
message. This enables use of a Template lookup for error reporting as well
using the same Template mechanism.

The coup d´etat would be to store these templates in native encoding,
convert to UTF-8 when read, and converted to Accept-Encoding preferred
encoding on output to client.

This is on my todo list, but behind a number of bugfix items from the W3C
TODO as well as some reported on w-v lately. I also have scheduled some XML
parser issues to look into on the suggestion of Gerald and Björn Höhrmann.

Unfortunately these are all pushed back due to other comittments; current
best guess at when I'll have some time to work on this is two-three weeks.