  Von: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@asu.edu>
  An: 'Gisbert Amm' <ich@gisbert-amm.de>; www-validator@w3.org <www-validator@w3.org>
  Datum: Montag, 12. März 2001 22:02
  Betreff: RE: what are the right URL?

  Gisbert Amm wrote:

  > on my website I use these links:

  > http://www.w3c.org/Style/XSL

  > http://www.w3c.org/XML

  1 - Masayasu Ishikawa mentioned the domain name: w3c.org will redirect to w3.org, which is the correct name.

  2 - A URL pointing to a directory ends in a "/".  Servers will correct that for you (by redirecting "/XML" to "/XML/", for example), so it's not obvious that it's an error to leave off the "/".  The problem is that you add load to the server because it has to perform an extra operation to serve up the correct page (redirect, then serve the page).

  > thank you and greetings from germany

  Greetings from Arizona!

  Thanasis Kinias
  Information Dissemination Team, Information Technology
  Arizona State University
  Tempe, Ariz., U.S.A.

  Qui nos rodunt confundantur
  et cum iustis non scribantur.