Re: --->Please make sure you specified the DOCTYPE properly

Have you checked your pages to see if there is an invalid character outside the <!DOCTYPE Line?  It is also possible
that your ISP is adding its own "Junk" to the top of your page.  If this is the case, I would suggest you validate your
pages by upload from your PC.

Hope this helps,

Carole

7/26/01 2:00:28 PM, Robert.W.Blackburn@apcc.com wrote:

>I get this errorwhen using the validator I set up on a WinNT IIS machine,
>but there is a <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
>Transitional//EN">
>at the top of the document, and it does this for every document I try to
>validate.
>

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

>Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
>parser.
>

>     Uh oh! I got the following unknown error: D:
>     \webroot\validate\sp\bin\nsgmls.exe:0:157:96:E: invalid comment
>     declaration: found name character outside comment but inside comment
>     declaration Please make sure you specified the DOCTYPE properly!
>

>     You should make the first line of your HTML document a DOCTYPE
>     declaration, for example, for a typical HTML 4.01 document:
>

>           <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>           <HTML>
>                <HEAD>
>                  <TITLE>Title</TITLE>
>                </HEAD>
>
>                <BODY>
>                  <-- ... body of document ... -->
>                </BODY>
>           </HTML>

Carole Gay

HTML Writers Guild Online Education Instructor, HTML and Design Concepts
http://hwg.org/
Director, HTML Writers Guild Gutenberg Project
http://gutenberg.hwg.org/