Re: charset parameter

* Terje Bless wrote:

(ok, I won't cc: you for this list any longer :-)

>>Since user agents must not assume any default encoding
>
>Wasn't this issue still up in the air last time I checked?

Maybe :)

>Since HTTP/1.1 has a default, XHTML can wave it's hands all
>it likes and it won't change a thing.

For what or whom? HTML 4 explicitly says user agents must not assume a
default value for the charset parameter, as says RFC 3023 for
application/xml (and application/xhtml+xml refers to that), so this is
rather intentionally, isn't it? Sure, dump applications that don't know
nothing about HTML may assume some default encoding (but as for
application/xml they SHOULD NOT) but we don't have to deal with that.