Re: Form validation

Alexander Shpack <oshpack@viva-solutions.com> wrote:

> <Input type=button> ("" is not present)
> is valid expression according a HTML4.01?

Yes.  "3.2.2 Attributes" of the HTML 4.01 Specification [1] says
as follows:

   By default, SGML requires that all attribute values be delimited using
   either double quotation marks (ASCII decimal 34) or single quotation
   marks (ASCII decimal 39). Single quote marks can be included within
   the attribute value when the value is delimited by double quote marks,
   and vice versa. Authors may also use numeric character references to
   represent double quotes (&#34;) and single quotes (&#39;). For double
   quotes authors can also use the character entity reference &quot;.

   In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute
   without any quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain
   letters (a-z and A-Z), digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45),
   periods (ASCII decimal 46), underscores (ASCII decimal 95), and colons
   (ASCII decimal 58). We recommend using quotation marks even when it is
   possible to eliminate them.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.2

Regards,
--