Re: W3C HTML Validation Service Results are failing on good pages

At 2001-07-07T07:35-0400, Christian Smith wrote:-

> On Friday, July 6, 2001 at 14:46, wilson@claborn.net (Jonathan Wilson)
> wrote:

> > The error is, it complains about a lack of closing tags on all brakes
> > (br tags), and also for img. I have never used ending tags for br or
> > img, and in fact I have never seen a page that does use endings for
> > those tags.
>
> My guess is that your pages have an XHTML doctype and that the validator
> is correct. If you can provide a reference to a page that generates these
> errors we'll be better able to evaluate the problem and determine whether
> or not this is a bug in the validator or the HTML.

Almost. The validator output attached to Jonathan Wilson's message
contains "Error: no document type declaration; will parse without
validation". Clearly, in the absence of a DTD, it is impossible to tell
which end tags are meant to be optional.

Tim Bagot