Re: € (was: link check)

Hello Frank,

€ and ƒ, with or without an explicit charset,
is wild abuse. These are not what you mean, independent
of the charset. € is an undefined control character.
ƒ is NBH (no break here) (see
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf). All numeric
character references refer to Unicode, since HTML 2.0,
even if some older browsers don't do that correctly.

Actually, although strictly speaking, the character numbers
in the € - Ÿ range are legal in XML
(see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-Char), I'm thinking
about checking them in the validator because using them
(as something that they are not) is a very frequent mistake.

Regards,   Martin.