Re: Another common problem to include in the FAQ?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Liam Quinn wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Shannon Jacobs wrote:
>
> > Or maybe the answer is just so obvious I can't see it? Problem is with
> > messages like:
> >
> > Line 21, column 110:
> >   ... ://w3.jp.ibm.com/apto/vitality/common.js"></SCRIPT>
> >                                                         ^
> > Error: end tag for element "SCRIPT" which is not open
> >

> > Line 23, column 6:
> >   </HEAD>
> >         ^
> > Error: end tag for element "HEAD" which is not open
> >
> > I can look in the file and see the elements which it says are not open, and
> > there is no comment or error associated with those opening tags.
>
> It's hard to say for sure without the URL, but I'd guess
>
> http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html#script

Sorry, that wasn't a very good guess based on the small sample you posted.
My new guess is that you have

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript
src="http://w3.jp.ibm.com/apto/vitality/common.js"></SCRIPT>

in which case you need to quote the TYPE attribute value.

But again it'd be easier to guess with the URL.

--
Liam Quinn