Re: Another common problem to include in the FAQ?

Thank you, your psychic powers were working well for the second guess.
However, sorry to report it didn't address the real problem. I was hoping
that perhaps some standards violation on my part was causing the problem,
but have fixed that, and the JavaScript still hangs on reloading in
NetScape 4.7x... Exploring some of the other excellent links you provided,
and still hope to nail the bug... Code is not easily shared--it's from an
intranet site. Made an Internet version last week, but simplification may
have changed the nature of the bug...

Shannon Jacobs, Technical Editor
APTO 人事・技術プログラム推進 (LAB-X19)
Notes email: Shannon Jacobs/Japan/IBM@IBMJP
Tel. 046-215-4959, Fax 046-273-7381

                    Liam Quinn
                    <liam@htmlhelp       To:     Shannon Jacobs/Japan/IBM@IBMJP
                    .com>                cc:     <www-validator@w3.org>, <shanen@acm.org>
                                         Subject:     Re: Another common problem to include in the FAQ?
                    2001/02/21
                    12:12
                    Please respond
                    to Liam Quinn

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Liam Quinn wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Shannon Jacobs wrote:
>
> > Or maybe the answer is just so obvious I can't see it? Problem is with
> > messages like:
> >
> > Line 21, column 110:
> >   ... ://w3.jp.ibm.com/apto/vitality/common.js"></SCRIPT>
> >                                                         ^
> > Error: end tag for element "SCRIPT" which is not open
> >

> > Line 23, column 6:
> >   </HEAD>
> >         ^
> > Error: end tag for element "HEAD" which is not open
> >
> > I can look in the file and see the elements which it says are not open,
and
> > there is no comment or error associated with those opening tags.
>
> It's hard to say for sure without the URL, but I'd guess
>
> http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html#script

Sorry, that wasn't a very good guess based on the small sample you posted.
My new guess is that you have

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript
src="http://w3.jp.ibm.com/apto/vitality/common.js"></SCRIPT>

in which case you need to quote the TYPE attribute value.

But again it'd be easier to guess with the URL.

--
Liam Quinn