Re: several fixes

On 17.04.01 at 21:41, Brian Gilkison <gilkison@one.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Terje Bless wrote:
>>
>>>  * valid HTML and use of "constants" for redirect_to_home_page()
>>
>>Thanks! This should have been fixed ages ago. (Brian, didn't you suggest
>>we fix this a while back? cf. the UNIX->NT thread?)
>
>Sort of; it wasn't directly related to the UNIX->NT thread, but rather to
>generalize the Validator such that image tags, etc. were pulling images
>from wherever a local copy of the validator may be running, as opposed to
>grabbing them from the W3C servers [...]
>
>I haven't looked at Bjorn's code; my patch dealt with expanding the use of
>$abs_svc_uri -- the current version of 'check' defines it (somewhere
>around line 69), then uses it *once* (~line 199), to tell the user when
>they've attempted to use a non "http://" URL.  Yet many instances of
>'http://validator.w3.org/' remain throughout the script.

Ok, I just zapped the last remaining hardcoded references to
validator.w3.org -- The "Valid" image links for HTML 2.0/3.0, Netscape
HTML, Hotjava HTML, the /check/referer link in the results footer, and in
authentication explanatory text -- and replaced them with $abs_svc_uri. I
left out the $loc_svc_uri part of your patch because I don't understand
what it is supposed to do; wanna elaborate?

This probably was left hanging when you sent it because Gerald moved most
links to point at www.w3.org/Icons instead of validator/images.

>I presume from Bjorn's original message that his patch and mine had/have
>some overlap in this regard...

Yeah, he killed off the use of a hardcoded w3.org URI in
&redirect_to_home_page().