Re: [Bug] XHTML Strict Minimal document

On 25.10.00 at 11:07, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:

>Yes and it's very important to have a modular way to add this
>message.

While it is done in the Perl layer of the validator it would be basically a
configuration file of some sort. Not sure yet what makes most sense but
either plain text (possibly with some markup) or in HTML::Template
templates which contains some program logic.

If it's done in (lq-)nsgmls the messages will be in a header file or
similar (Liam?) and the language depends on which file is included at
compile time.

>What I think it's a system where you can have root system in english for
>the error messages with help and tutorial associated for the errors.

The default language would be English, but the various languages would
otherwise be entirely equal. The distinction would be "if it's Sweedish
pick stuff from this directory; otherwise use the default "en_US"
directory".

>Each time an error  message and/or a tutorial is adapted,
>people responsible for the localized version should be alert.

Translators should subscribe to the www-validator-cvs mailinglist that gets
notifications about checkins to the CVS repository. To be effective
translating you need to be able to understand the checkin messages -- which
does not require a significant amount of technical savvy -- and follow the
development to some degree.

>So, they can translate the documentation in the appropriate languages. So
>the tools will be helpful for the user and adapted to his native language.

The problem right now is that too much is hard-coded. We can override the
error messages with localized versions because they come from SP, but the
interface-ish bits are a PITA to change (read: infeasible). That's why I
kept pushing this back in favour of the bigger overhaul to make the
Validator use HTML::Template. However, the docs (such as they are) could be
translated and we could use Apache's mod_negotiate to sniff the preferred
language from the client browser.

BTW, I'm having a hell of a time building OpenSP on Red Hat 7.0 so I may
have to set up a Red Hat 6.2 box to get it rolling. IIRC validator.w3.org
is a Red Hat 6.2 box so that may be better in any case.

Gerald: you might want to build and install OpenSP on the box -- in
paralell with SP -- so it's available for testing if you decide you want to
go that route.

Liam: if I manage to get some working code going for OpenSP, do you want
patches to do that with the WDG Validator?

--
As a cat owner, I know this for a fact...
Nothing says "I love you" like a decapitated gopher on your front porch.